Thursday, February 4, 2010

I'm back!

Here we go again. I've been putting off updating for quite a long time. I really want to have an updated blog, but I just have so much to share that I've been letting things pile up gradually. SO, instead of filling you all in on everything between the last post and this post (which is A LOT of news) I'll just pick up with what's going on right now with my knitting.

I've been enjoying answering some questions for interviews and one of those can be found at A Yarn Tale blog. Perhaps this interview can make up for my lack of updates on this blog. I have been twittering quite regularly. I'm westknits over on Twitter so I usually post current news there.

I recently got back from visiting a friend in Ecuador earlier this month and dancing in Chile with my friends who have a dance company in Chicago. It was beautiful and summery down there and I still got some knitting done.

The Santiago landscape was beautiful...

The food (especially the seafood) and wine was the best...

And I could not have been with better friends.


While I was in South America for three weeks I was able to get in contact with Deep South Fibers in time for TNNA in Long Beach. They are now representing my westknits pattern line and doing all of the distributing to yarn shops. If you'd like to see my patterns in your LYS, they can contact Deep South Fibers for wholesale information. This company also represents a handful of some really talented knitting designers like Ysolda Teague and Julie Weisenberger (cocoknits) and many many more.

I have a new pattern called Bentgrass that I just put up on Ravelry last week. My most recent finished object is another Bentgrass Neckwarmer.

It's an insanely quick knit with super bulky yarn and US 13 needles.

I used Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky Natural for this one and added some Black Walnut buttons from thehickorytree.etsy.com.

Hopefully, I'll start working on a website soon that will serve as an online location to gather everything westknits like my travel/event schedule, news, patterns, etc... For now, I'll try to share news, events, and happenings more often on this blog. Coming soon, I will be at Loopy Yarns in Chicago teaching a project class on my Daybreak shawl. The 2 part class will take place on February 20 and March 6. You can find more information on their website here.

More exciting news! I'm currently planning a trip to the Seattle area next month! The dates are March 18-29 and I will be having events at a few knitting shops in the area so I'll let you know more details soon. I am looking forward to this trip because I have never been to the Pacific Northwest before. I have the feeling I'm going to fall in love.

Sorry this post is a bit blunt and choppy, but I had to put something on here to get this blog going again. I barely even talked about the projects I'm working on right now! I suppose I will save the rest for other posts. It would be great to hear from anyone who reads this. Knowing that other people read these posts is encouraging and will hopefully boost me into sharing more.

22 comments:

Yarndude said...

I don't know how you could think that people don't read this blog... I had no idea you were in South America! (although I don't know why I would have...) Congrats on finding someone to distribute your patterns and all that, that's really cool.

tricobsession said...

happy to see you again ... a french knitter

Brianna said...

Glad to see the blog revived. Congratulations on finding someone to represent your work/patterns - that's a big step forward. I look forward to seeing more designs!

amelia said...

Wow, that's such an excellent cowl. I love the way it looks both ways you've styled the buttons. So cute! :D

Julie said...

Looks like you had an amazing time!! I love that cowl you made, it's gorgeous. I particularly love the red thread for the lovely wooden buttons- such a great unexpected pop of colour. nice detail!

The Sweatshop of Love said...

Love that man cowl! And those buttons are killer.

pendie said...

welcome back; looking forward to seeing more of your work

Anonymous said...

i'm jealous of your travels! both south america and the pacific northwest! i've heard really great things about churchmouse yarns & teas in seattle if you get a chance!

Jane said...

Glad you're back! I love your designs and come by regularly to see what you've been doing. Admittedly, there hasn't been much on here recently - but then I think about how erratic my own blog postings are, so don't feel guilty.

Please post your Seattle stops when you get them scheduled!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Yarndude. Of course people read your blog. It's funny; I was just perusing Ravelry yesterday and noticed Bentgrass (love it!) and thought to myself...wow, he hasn't blogged in a while, yet he's obviously still making awesome stuff. So, I'm definitely glad to see you back on the blog!

Genevieve said...

I'm another one who's glad to see the update. I look forward to seeing more of your amazing patterns and hearing about your travels. Thanks very much for taking the time to share with us.

Färbermaid said...

Of course we do read your blog! Your patterns are amazing!!wonderful news! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'll mention your patterns to my LYS when next I'm in.

Emily said...

You have such great patterns - it's fun to see their inspiration and progress on the blog. Glad you had fun in South America! More picture! :)

willyg said...

It's good to see you back! And I'm a little envious of your trip to South America...not to mention Seattle! I can't wait to hear more details of your projects and your travels. Your designs keep raking in the compliments on the streets and are an inspiration to me to come up with my own things as well!

Unknown said...

I just started knitting 3 weeks ago because I fell in love with a odd ball of alpaca wool that was on sale. I decided on the spot that I was going to teach myself to knit. Later while surfing the web wondering if there were other men who knit, I came across your blog and found it so fascinating and entertaining with all your projects and thoughts. Since then, I finished a short and narrow scarf. Now I'm looking to start another project, expanding my horizon. Your work is so inspirational. I am thoroughly enjoying your updates and am looking forward to your next.

Affiknitty said...

I just bought the Daybreak Shawl pattern last week, and I like your new cowl pattern too. Congrats on getting connected with someone to distribute your patterns and, Thanks for the update!

Unknown said...

my friend who knits told me about your blog, and since i am a complete beginner i always check for updates and more amazing pieces! :) something to aspire to!

knitwick said...

Woohoo!! Welcome back! I hope that you have fun in Seattle. It's kind of hard not to...

Anonymous said...

So glad you're back...I love your blog and patterns. Your patterns are awesome...keep up the good work.

Saskia said...

Hey Stephen, I found your blog a while ago and have been waiting for new posts to read and there they are! Yay! I have been 'piling posts up' in the past and I recognize the feeling, a good clean cut and fresh new short post will take care of a lot of shimmering guilt. Good job! I love your designs and its great to read about your step into professionalism. I hope to get time to do more designing and get there too. Knit on!

Unknown said...

So glad to see your return. Have been following your posts on Twitter after the website's last entry in October, but glad the website is now current. So happy all is moving forward and that your talents are being recognized as they well should. Keep up the fantastic work. You and your work is inspirational to all knitters, especially for all of us men who knit along with you.